I write features, interviews and opinion pieces about technology, culture and everything in between for some of the biggest names in the media.
I rarely write about breaking stories or use press releases. Instead, the stories I write are usually exclusives, original ideas or creative takes on existing stories.
My work has appeared regularly in BBC Future, The Guardian, the I paper/ The Independent, Wired and The Economist. My byline has also appeared in The Financial Times Weekend Magazine, UnHerd, Raconteur, Warwick Business School’s Core magazine and The Daily Telegraph.
My first piece for The Smithsonian’s Air and Space magazine Across the channel in a Nazi Helicopter has now been published.
Over the last three years
- The plane too ahead of its time was included in BBC Future’s Best of 2020 Collection
- The rise of citizen science: can the public help solve our biggest problems? was published by The Guardian online, and then in print, in The Guardian Weekly magazine.
- The deepest hole we have ever dug was included in BBC Future’s Best of 2019 Collection
- Silicon Valley’s ‘suicide pill’ for mankind was one of UnHerd’s Best of 2018.
Now my first book is due to be published by HarperCollins on August 31, 2021 in the United States. N-4 DOWN: the Hunt for the Arctic Airship Italia is available for preorder worldwide.
I was lucky enough to be able to write about one of the stories that I stumbled across while writing my book for the BBC. You can find it here.
My literary agent is the amazing Erin Cox at Rob Weisbach Creative Management,
I am currently working on a proposal for my second book.
I love moderating events, which include
- interviewing leading British edtech entrepreneur George Burgess, now Director of Innovation at The Telegraph, live on stage at the Frankfurt Book Fair.
- chairing a panel discussion for Byte the Book on New Writing: What Opportunities Are There For Authors On Today’s Platforms?
- chairing a panel discussion for Byte the Book on Machine Thinking: How is AI impacting the creative industries?
With the rest of my time, I try and give something back to the world by teaching.
If you want to contact me, my email is mpiesing at gmail.com.
I am @MarkPiesing on Twitter. DM me.
You can also message me on LinkedIn.